White Bean Soup (Fassoulatha)
This is a simple white bean stew recipe that keeps its renowned Mediterranean taste with less sodium!
* 1 pound dried white beans, soaked overnight
* 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
* 2 large onions, finely chopped
* 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
* 2 large carrots, finely chopped
* 1 quart water
* 2 large ripe tomatoes, peeled and mashed, or 1 tablespoon tomato paste
* 2 teaspoons dried oregano
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
* Freshly ground pepper, to taste
Makes 8 servings.
1. Drain beans and cook them, covered, in a large pot of boiling water until tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Drain.
2. Heat oil in a Dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat. Sauté onions, celery and carrots for 3 to 5 minutes. Add water, the cooked beans, tomatoes, oregano, salt, cayenne and pepper. Simmer vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Total fat 4 g
Saturated fat 1 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 326 mg
Total fiber 11 g
Carbohydrates 42 g
(Recipe and Photo from EatingWell.com)