What a busy year for the Mass in Motion-Melrose/Wakefield Team
Thank you to all that helped make the following accomplishments happen…and many more to come!
Increase accessibility, availability, affordability of healthful foods in communities:
- Melrose Public Schools Food Service implemented the MA School Nutrition Standards for Competitive Foods and Beverages—offering nourishing food and beverage choices for all students.
- Market money systems were established in both Melrose & Wakefield Farmers Markets (credit, debit, snap/ebt accepted). Sally Frank/Melrose had a very successful season at Cedar Park location. Wakefield is #1 MA Farmers Market in 2012!
- Healthy Corner Store Project Team is underway to increase healthy grab and go options for residents. (Winter 2012-2013)
Increase opportunities for physical activity:
- Celebrated state (May 2012) and international (Oct 2012) Walk & Ride to School Days. 10 of 11 elementary and middle schools are now Safe Routes to School partners!
- Walking route maps were created and distributed.
- Eighteen bike racks were installed.
- Celebrated first ever Melrose in Motion and Wakefield in Motion months in October 2012. Over 50 partners collaborated to offer over 50 free events for community members!
- Pedestrian and Bicycle Advisory Committee formed.