Now that kids are out of school for the summer, engage them in snack and meal preparation.
Listed below are some simple recipes your children will enjoy.
- Fruit Kebobs: Use 3 wooden skewers to thread 1 cup grapes, 12 cut strawberries & 1 cup cubed melon of choice to a fruit kebob! You can get creative with fruit choices (cubed pineapple, mango, apples). Eat plain or dip in low-fat vanilla yogurt.
- Fruity Frozen Treats: Place 1-8 oz container of nonfat lemon yogurt and 2 cups cubed watermelon,1 pint strawberries (with tops removed) and 1 medium banana (peeled and sliced) in a blender. Cover tightly and blend until smooth. Line 12-cup muffin tin with paper baking cups and pour mix into each cup. Freeze for about 2-3 hours and let thaw a few minutes before enjoying with a spoon.
- Mini English Muffin Pizza: Toast a whole grain English muffin. Top with tomato sauce or salsa and sprinkle low-fat mozzarella cheese on top, dried oregano and garlic powder. Add cut-up vegetables to pizza (onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, spinach). Place under low broiler until cheese is melted.
- Avocado Dip: Peel and chop 2 medium ripe avocados & toss with 1 tbsp lemon juice in a small bowl. Add 1/4 cup salsa & 1/8 tsp salt and mash with a fork. Cover & store in refrigerator. Enjoy with cut celery, carrots or whole grain crackers!
- Crunch Mix: Mix together ½ cup dried cherries, 2 cups rice chex,1/2 cup roasted unsalted pistachios & 3 cups Kashi Go Lean Crunch cereal and separate into snack-sized bags for a grab ‘n go snack.
- Green Smoothie Recipe: Blend 1 cup fresh berries, 1 cup kale, 1/2 banana, 1/2 cup water & 5 cups ice in a blender and enjoy!
- Whole grain baked tortilla chips & Salsa: Take a 8″ whole wheat tortilla, cut into wedges, spray w/olive oil spray and sprinkle lightly with salt & pepper. Bake for 8-10 minutes @ 400°. Dip in your choice of salsa.
- Fruit & nuts mix: Mix nuts of choice (pecans, almonds),dried cranberries, dried mango and a few chocolate chips. Separate into snack-sized bags for a grab ‘n go snack.
Presented by: Hallmark Health System’s Nutrition Services Department. To schedule a visit with one of their registered dietitians, please call Jill Pollock, Clinical Nutrition Manager at 781-979-3615.