Improving wellness in your workplace may not only improve the health and a sense of well being of your colleagues but, if you work in a healthcare facility, might also motivate providers to seek the same benefits for their patients. Below is a list of some things (of many) that you can easily do to increase access to nature without having to carve out extra time during the work day:
- Have “walking meetings” outside
- Encourage staff to sit outside or in naturally lit areas on breaks or during lunch.
- Provide outdoor walking, meeting, and sitting spaces.
- If outdoor spaces are not available or you are in an urban environment, create an indoor garden in an atrium or, if space is at a premium, a vertical “green wall.”
- Light rooms with natural sunlight as much as possible. Open blinds and, if possible, windows to let in outside air and natural sounds.
- Display nature photography or artwork.
- Play nature videos or nature slides on your television or display screens.
- Place as many plants as you can prominently around the office
- Offer periodic guided nature walks for staff and/or families with a certified nature therapist (can be found through ANFT)